Jose Mourinho loved a winning birth up as Tottenham manager with a 3-2 London derby overcome West Ham at London Stadium.
First-half targets from Son Heung-min and Lucas Moura and a third from Harry Kane four minutes after the rupture gave Tottenham their first Premier League away steal since 20 January.
It was about as happy as Mourinho could perhaps perhaps even bear hoped for after a tumultuous week, whereby he replaced Mauricio Pochettino, who was sacked by Daniel Levy now not up to 6 months after guiding the membership to basically the most important Champions League final of their history.
The consequence piles power on West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini, whose facet bear now composed two points from their final seven video games.
Beneath-fire keeper Roberto made an error for Son’s opener and the hosts were booed off at half-time.
Leisurely targets from change Michail Antonio and Angelo Ogbonna gave the final scoreline a flattering study, nonetheless the halt consequence made a mockery of an ill-knowledgeable post from West Ham’s social media crew following Mourinho’s appointment, highlighting outdated difficulties the 56-300 and sixty five days-passe has endured at London Stadium.
- ‘Or now not it is now not about me’, says Mourinho after Spurs steal his first sport responsible
- Apply reaction – plus the rest of Saturday’s Premier League action
A overjoyed birth up for Mourinho
In the fabricate-up to the sport, Mourinho indicated there shall be no massive adjustments to a facet that, for basically the most important 5 years of Pochettino’s reign, were faded to tough for honours, even within the event that they’ve never if truth be told obtained any.
Even supposing Mourinho’s first in-match conversation with Son was to remind the South Korean of players unhurried him who wished marking, evidently, his energy goes forward.
Son’s shot for Tottenham’s opener was fierce ample. But the ball was end ample to Roberto because it flashed past the West Ham keeper for him to originate a more ample strive to withhold it out.
It was uncooked scramble that allowed Son to trip forward into birth location and unsuitable for Moura to covert the mates’ 2d.
Mourinho greeted the opener with a celebratory punch against the ground. His reaction to the 2d was great more businesslike, screaming at his players, then shouting at Toby Alderweireld when he was skipped over, to ship an instruction to avoid losing with crew shape.
Three hundred and forty two days after his final match as a manager – and one more derby of kinds – this was about as some distance removed from Manchester United’s 3-1 defeat at Liverpool because it was seemingly to construct up.
Kane’s 11th Spurs unprejudiced of the season came a minute after Moura had fluffed an different to whole off a dimension-of-the-area rupture.
There were no more targets nonetheless a good deal of instructions from Mourinho, who, as he strolled flippantly against the bench at the final whistle, will know there are contrivance more difficult days than this to come relief.
The Eriksen conundrum
Mourinho’s first crew decision was adopted by his first warning, to midfielder Christian Eriksen, who he left on the bench.
Uncertainty over Eriksen’s future has been one in every of the darkish clouds inserting over Tottenham since the Champions League final. Out of contract next summer and out of kinds on the pitch, Mourinho brushed off a pre-match ask about continuity being the reason for the Dane’s absence by bringing up that he wished to know “what’s in his mind and his heart”.
Mourinho has never been one for accepting passengers on his managerial plug and evidently, he is now not always if truth be told about to birth up now.
Eriksen is now not on his non-public in having an hazardous future.
Central defenders Alderweireld, who gave an assured efficiency right here, and Jan Vertonghen are out of contract at the halt of the season. Danny Rose has a deal which runs to 2021 nonetheless the England man has already said the possibilities of him signing an extension are zero.
But Eriksen seems like basically the most important. So influential in Tottenham’s success down the years, it would now not appear to be a accident that his membership’s originate has collapsed at the an identical time as his.
His introduction for Dele Alli 13 minutes from time underlines Eriksen has now not been excluded from Mourinho’s plans. But how the unusual Spurs boss gives with that self-discipline could perhaps perhaps also present pivotal in whether Tottenham clamber relief into the fight for a Champions League space or linger in mid-desk for the rest of the promoting and marketing campaign.
If for the time being was to be all about Mourinho, West Ham fans faded it as an excuse to flip on their non-public.
Goalkeeper Roberto was within the firing line. From the 2d he came for a punch and left out it, home fans baited the worn Malaga keeper repeatedly.
Ironic cheers accompanied basically the most efficient of kicks and catches. Self belief within the Spaniard, who has conceded three conditions in each of his final three video games, is at rock bottom.
The ire goes past that. Carlos Sanchez’ introduction for Issa Diop – a transfer designed to give Declan Rice some time in central defence given a fifth yellow card contrivance Diop is banned for next weekend’s plug back and forth to Chelsea – was greeted by loud boos.
The phrase from West Ham following their hammering at Burnley a fortnight ago was that Pellegrini shall be given more time. After this, there shall be unusual doubt about that.
Events of the final week present no manager is safe after a bustle of corrupt outcomes.
Man of the match: Son Heung-min
Match stats – Mourinho’s debut stride
- Having misplaced his first ever competitive sport as manager, with Benfica in September 2000, Jose Mourinho has long gone unbeaten in his first sport responsible at each of his eight clubs since, alongside side two various spells with Chelsea (W5 D3).
- Mourinho obtained as many points in this sport as Mauricio Pochettino mustered in his final 12 away Premier League video games with Tottenham (W0 D3 L9).
- West Ham bear picked up valid two points from their final 21 readily available within the market within the Premier League (W0 D2 L5).
- Tottenham bear obtained three consecutive away league video games against West Ham for basically the most important time of their history.
- All four of Michail Antonio’s Premier League targets for West Ham against Spurs bear come at various venues – Upton Park, White Hart Lane, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and London Stadium.
- Antonio is one in every of four players to rating at four various venues for a single membership against a single opponent within the Premier League, alongside Steed Malbranque (Fulham v Manchester Metropolis), Dele Alli (Tottenham v Watford) and Christian Eriksen (Tottenham v Everton).
- Tottenham’s Harry Kane has scored eight targets in his final 9 Premier League video games against West Ham. Certainly, Kane has scored 29 targets in 46 Premier League London derbies – biggest Thierry Henry (43), Teddy Sheringham (32) and Frank Lampard (32) bear netted more.
- Kane has now scored 175 targets in 269 appearances for Tottenham – biggest Jimmy Greaves (266) and Bobby Smith (208) bear netted more.
- Son Heung-min (19) is Tottenham’s main goalscorer in all competitions in 2019, netting one bigger than Kane (18) this calendar 300 and sixty five days.
West Ham are next in action at Chelsea in one more London derby on Saturday, 30 November (15: 00 GMT). Tottenham host Olympiakos within the Champions League on Tuesday (20: 00) sooner than a house Premier League sport against Bournemouth on Saturday (15: 00).
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe