Leicester returned to winning ways in opposition to West Ham at King Vitality Stadium but misplaced the league’s top scorer Jamie Vardy to injury within the major half of.
Harvey Barnes scored the opener, poking in from a yard out, earlier than turning supplier for Ricardo Pereira on the stroke of half of-time.
West Ham captain Value Noble made it 2-1 from the design earlier than Leicester’s Ayoze Perez did the identical.
And Perez drilled in a fourth for Leicester with minutes to head.
There had been a prolonged stoppage time at the stop of the major half of as Vardy bought therapy for what seemed admire a hamstring injury.
Decrease than 10 minutes earlier than, Leicester midfielder Nampalys Mendy was as soon as substituted for an apparent knee injury and West Ham’s Robert Snodgrass came off at half of-time after a knock.
One in, two out as Foxes’ injuries mount
Leicester were boosted by the return of key midfielder Wilfred Ndidi, who was as soon as on the bench correct 13 days after having minor knee surgical operation.
Manager Brendan Rodgers had said earlier than kick-off that Ndidi was as soon as “there if we want him”.
And within the stop, Leicester did want him when Mendy went down with an apparent knee injury after 32 minutes.
But Leicester’s injury concerns obtained even worse when Premier League top scorer Vardy straight clutched the motivate of his left leg after clearing the ball in his dangle defensive yell.
Silence spread thru the King Vitality as Vardy – who has scored 17 dreams and picked up four assists this season – bought therapy on the pitch earlier than attempting to speed it off.
He lasted barely two minutes when he returned and was as soon as in a roundabout design substituted for striker Kelechi Iheanacho.
Rodgers said after the game Vardy’s injury was as soon as “now not his hamstring, which is staunch”.
The striker has contributed to 34% of Leicester’s Premier League dreams this season and Rodgers added he hoped it could most likely well “ease off over the next couple of days”.
Job carried out for Foxes as Hammers battle
Leicester were cruising within the major half of and came out the blocks firing.
They loved 72% of possession and West Ham ultimate managed 17 passes within the outlet 10 minutes.
Vardy drew a set from Darren Randolph interior minutes – finishing off a slick passing stream from Leicester – and there were further potentialities for Pereira and Mendy earlier than Barnes in a roundabout design obtained the opener on 24 minutes.
Pereira slotted the ball across the face of the purpose and Barnes could well now not dash over from a yard out, earlier than the two blended but again in stoppage time – giving the dwelling followers something to cheer about despite the temper dampening when Vardy trudged off injured.
West Ham seemed correctly overwhelmed at the rupture but they will occupy sensed the worry among the Leicester gamers and followers as a consequence of they seemed a extra threatening aspect before all the pieces the 2nd half of.
Noble stepped up confidently to place away the penalty – which was as soon as given after minimal contact from Ndidi on Sebastien Haller within the box – and Manuel Lanzini came shut to an equaliser when he practically poked in a loose ball from Michail Antonio’s rebounded flick.
Leicester rode the simmering stress and began to decide but again – Iheanacho and James Maddison being denied earlier than Perez in a roundabout design thumped within the third purpose from the design after Angelo Ogbonna’s clumsy form out on Iheanacho.
The job was as soon as carried out for Leicester, who continued to pepper Randolph’s purpose, but Perez doubled his tally with a slick enact from contained within the box.
The victory leaves Leicester 14 functions earlier than fifth-positioned Manchester United, while West Ham dwell level on functions with 2nd-bottom Watford and with out a comprise in three successive league games.
Man of the match – Harvey Barnes (Leicester)
Noble’s coolness from the design – greater of the stats
- Leicester picked up their eighth dwelling victory within the Premier League this season – right here is their most ever steady thru the major 12 dwelling games of a league campaign.
- This was as soon as West Ham manager David Moyes’ 50th Premier League away sport in opposition to an aspect starting the day within the head four – the Scotsman has obtained correct one among those 50 games (D15, L34), with that lone victory coming in December 2010 (Manchester City 1-2 Everton).
- Leicester occupy now scored 52 dreams within the Premier League this season, their most after 24 games of a top-flight campaign since 1930-31 (52).
- Since the beginning of October 2019, no crew occupy obtained fewer functions (11) or misplaced extra games (11) within the Premier League than West Ham.
- Harvey Barnes has scored in consecutive Premier League games for the major time as a Leicester player, while he’s already netted as many dreams within the competitors in 2020 (two in three games) as he managed within the final of 2019 (two in 35 games).
- Value Noble has now been straight away taking into account 79 dreams for West Ham within the Premier League (46 dreams and 33 assists), the most of any player for the membership within the competitors’s history, overtaking Paolo Di Canio.
- Ricardo Pereira has had an prompt hand in 13 dreams within the Premier League since the beginning of ultimate season (five dreams and eight assists) – the steady two defenders with extra in this duration are Liverpool pair Trent Alexander-Arnold (24) and Andrew Robertson (18).
- Noble has now scored 27 penalties within the Premier League (out of 31 taken), the fourth-most of any player within the competitors’s history, within the motivate of Alan Shearer (56), Frank Lampard (43) and Steven Gerrard (32).
‘Success is set the crew’ – what they said
Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers, talking to BBC Sport: “I believed we were very staunch. We played with that authority within the game and persona that the crew has played with all season. Tempo was as soon as staunch, pressed correctly.”
On Jamie Vardy’s injury: “It’s now not his hamstring which is staunch. Confidently over the next couple of days it will ease off and he shall be match. Jamie is a staunch talisman for the crew but when we’re going to occupy success it is about the crew.
“He hasn’t played for us in a replacement of games and the crew has soundless played correctly but for certain we desire him match and correctly. He is this sort of staunch player and we hope it is far now not too crucial.”
West Ham manager David Moyes, talking to BBC Sport: “It was as soon as a obvious that we obtained something for 10 to 15 minutes but for most of the game Leicester were by far the upper crew. That hasn’t been the case within the final games, we were in them or shut.
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
“I believed within the 2nd half of we at the very least obtained the ball ahead extra. It was as soon as staunch to uncover Michail Antonio motivate as a consequence of he has been staunch for us. We did now not occupy ample gamers who could well make something happen within the final third. We’re missing that style of player.
“They seemed sooner to the ball than us. It’s by no formula easy but we obtained’t make excuses. We have been staunch but tonight was as soon as doubtlessly the worst I occupy considered us defensively at occasions.”
Leicester streak to Brentford for his or her FA Cup fourth-round tie on Saturday, 25 January (12: 45 GMT) earlier than the a truly mighty Carabao Cup semi-final 2nd leg at Aston Villa on Tuesday, 28 January (19: 45). Their next Premier League sport is at dwelling to Chelsea on Saturday, 1 February (12: 30).
West Ham host West Bromwich Albion within the FA Cup on Saturday, 25 January (15: 00) and return to Premier League action in opposition to leaders Liverpool at London Stadium on Wednesday, 29 January (19: 45).
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe